Monday, July 6, 2009

High Energy Journey

Suzanne Sitherwood already has four job titles, and she'll get a new one when she becomes the first woman to chair the Georgia Chamber of Commerce.

May 20, 2009

Suzanne Sitherwood didn't really have a career goal in mind when she went to the Atlanta Gas Light Co. as a co-op student. Her father, however, had an inkling. He told her she would end up running the company. Sitherwood recalls laughing - laughing really loudly - to his prediction.

Father does, indeed, know best.

Today Sitherwood, 48, runs three companies and also serves as the senior vice president of Southern Operations for AGL Resources. In that capacity she is the president of three of its utilities - Atlanta Gas Light, Chattanooga Gas and Florida City Gas. Her obligations for AGL Resources are mainly governmental, she says. "I spend most of my time making sure that people are in the right places. You can't get a job done without the right people. I have a lot of titles, and when I'm in Georgia, I say 'I'm the president of Atlanta Gas Light,' and in Florida, I say 'I'm president of Florida City Gas.' You can follow where this is going." She also will be running an entity that even her father couldn't have foretold. Next year, she will become chairperson of the board of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce. She will be the first woman in the chamber's 95 years to have that position

Read complete article at: http://www.atlantawomanmag.com/Articles/2009/June/High_Energy_Journey.html

No comments: